tiistai 18. huhtikuuta 2017

Native IPv6!


I have once again full IPv6 connectivity on ALL of my uplinks, and this time natively! Thanks to my great ADSL ISP, Nebula, who offers IPv6 as standard service for everyone, and also my great mobile network provider, DNA, who do the same. IPv6 life is good in Finland!

Nebula gives you a /56 for your own networks, and a /96 for the router-to-router interface.

Their default sales and support guys understand and know IPv6 well. All you have to do is to ask for the /56 address and it will be given to you.

DNA IPv6 comes on, completely automatically, for every user with a capable device. Which is most devices by now. Both DNA and Nebula have been providing this service for many years.

My previous setup was through a tunnel service, interrupted due to addressing changes, and now gone forever; good riddance :-) Native is the way to go! I'm now fully dual stacked natively for all my networks, be it ADSL or LTE.

A couple of observations:

  • I was so happy to find out that while on my previous setup I had to resort to hacks to do firewalling on IPv6, all functionality is now there for even dynamic connection tracking. Great!
  • Once again, the simplification of my network to offer the bare essential services only has made things like firewall configuration much easier.
  • The router advertisement daemon, RADVD, has a bug on Ubuntu 16.04. The installation scripts do not create the pid directory /var/run/radvd, and this causes the startup scripts to fail. Silently... but you can do "sudo mkdir /var/run/radvd" and everything works after that.

Copyright (c) 2017 by Jari Arkko

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti